Thursday, August 6, 2015

Broken Pieces | Riley Hart

18874773
Can three broken pieces make a whole?

Josiah Evans is the orphan who lost both his parents. He’s sweet, shy, and all heart. He wants nothing more than to be loved.

Mateo Sanchez is the son of a gang leader. He’s seen it all, and never hesitates to do what needs to be done, no matter what it is.

Tristan Croft is the wealthy attorney who clawed his way up from the bottom to rule his own world. He’ll never depend on anyone but himself again.


Three men who couldn’t be more different…and yet, as their lives intersect they find an uncommon balance that calms the storms inside each of them, and ignites fires hotter than they ever thought imaginable.
 
Publisher: Riley Hart 
Date Published: February 2, 2014 
Pages: 444 
Genres: LGBQT, Romance 
Content Advisory: This book is intended for mature audiences and contains explicit sexual activity. 

With the high ratings on Goodreads and interesting plot, I was eager to begin this series. This story is about three different individuals with difficult pasts. Josiah was the shy orphan, Mateo, the gangster that ended up at the same foster home as Josiah after his father went to prison, and Tristan, the attorney with a tough past. It was intended to be full of angst and full of emotion, however it fell short for me because 1) there was no connection to the characters, 2) there wasn’t much depth to the characters, and 3) no character development. So how did the characters drive this character-driven book? Well they didn’t.

I felt disconnected to each cast member. It was like the author was telling me how to feel about them, rather than showing me. The characters felt incomplete because there was no dimension to them. The personality personality traits seemed like they were listed instead of conveyed. They each had a hard past, but it didn’t show through in their personalities because it was told in a shallow way. Out of the three, I think Tristan’s character was done the best. I found him the one that was most intriguing. Sadly, even he fell short.

With so much going on with Mateo, I expected to see some flashbacks or discussions of his past, however instead we got some vague mention of what he did as a gang member. With all that Mateo had done and gone through I was surprised at the lack of development in his character. I was astonished that in almost a decade, he hadn’t changed. Josiah was the same way. He did have a few inconsistencies in what he said and what he did in regards to Mateo, but I easily brushed those aside. What I couldn’t get passed was how the author told me multiple times that even though Josiah seemed the weakest, he was actually the strongest of the three. Rather than tell me that, show me. Give me some proof!

I did like the plot, but the writing didn’t do it for me.  

Rating: