Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Marked in Flesh | Anne Bishop

22062202For centuries, the Others and humans have lived side by side in uneasy peace. But when humankind oversteps its bounds, the Others will have to decide how much humanity they’re willing to tolerate—both within themselves and within their community...

Since the Others allied themselves with the cassandra sangue, the fragile yet powerful human blood prophets who were being exploited by their own kind, the delicate dynamic between humans and Others changed. Some, like Simon Wolfgard, wolf shifter and leader of the Lakeside Courtyard, and blood prophet Meg Corbyn, see the new, closer companionship as beneficial—both personally and practically.

But not everyone is convinced. A group of radical humans is seeking to usurp land through a series of violent attacks on the Others. What they don’t realize is that there are older and more dangerous forces than shifters and vampires protecting the land that belongs to the Others—and those forces are willing to do whatever is necessary to protect what is theirs…


“As humans it is our right, our destiny, to claim the world for ourselves.”

Book 4 of the Others series
Publisher: Penguin Publishing Group
Date Published: March 2016
Pages: 528 pages
Genres: Fantasy, Paranormal

*Slight spoilers for the previous book Vision in Silver*


It’s been a while since I’ve read the Other series; in fact it was since my review of Vision in Silver, which was released in early 2015. I heard that book five was going to be released in a few months and I thought that I should really get a move on reading the fourth.

In the last book the fanatical Humans First and Last movement had sold all excess food and accused the terra indigene for the food shortages causing a fight in Lakeside. The fight drew the attention of the elder terra indigene and they considered it a breach of trust. Thus, in Marked in Flesh the agreement between humans and the terra indigene was on the verge of being retracted. Allies were differentiated from foes. Lines were being drawn. The Humans First and Last versus the “wolf lovers” (anyone who supported or worked with the terra indigene); the humans had no choice but to pick sides.

I admit I am extremely biased with this series. I knew I was going to love it. I said it before and I’ll say it again, I love Anne Bishop’s narrative. She is absolutely wonderful in building the setting, plot and characters of this incredible world. She has a way with words and tugs you right in and refuses to let you go.

This was a long book with a lot happening in various places in both continents that gave another dimension to the book and made the story whole. There are numerous characters, some old and some new. Any interactions where the Others were trying to understand human females were comical. Meg and Simon are two of the central characters in the series and I absolutely loved their exchanges. Reading the slow build romance, if you want to call it that, just made everything that much more sweet. I just wish the majority of the book were in Simon and Meg's POVs.

With that said, this book has multiple third-person POVs and they helped shape the story. It was used exceptionally well to add layers to the plot. Those layers began to come together as the story progressed bringing in tension and a sense of calamity. While I was reading I was conscious of the nervousness, fear and anxiety the characters experienced and I was waiting for the other shoe to drop along with the cast. I needed to pause to collect myself until I was able to read on because I knew something terrible was about to happen. There were several times it seemed as if the story was moving on to the main conflict, but instead it changed to scenes of the secondary conflicts. This drove me a little insane. It did get slow towards the middle like most stories do, but just get over that hump and you’ll be glad you made to the end.

I can’t wait for the next one!

Rating: 



Want to read my previous reviews from the Others series?
Book 1: Written in Red
Book 2: Murder of Crows
Book 3: Vision in Silver