Sunday, March 1, 2015

The Soul Mate | Madeline Sheehan

20822555
Trinity had an ordinary life. That is, until she barely escaped a worldwide apocalyptic plague that took her loved ones from her and transformed most of humanity into flesh-eating monsters.

Gerik, her savior, a six-foot-four-inch Scandinavian Gypsy, takes her back to his magically protected Gypsy camp where she discovers a whole new way of life that she never knew existed – as well as a whole new set of problems.

Gerik has power over her that she cannot begin to understand, and she is convinced he is using his magic on her. Through her journey of trying to understand her feelings and this new magic-filled life she’s been brought into, she begins an unlikely friendship that grows into having potential to be something more.

While the remaining humans are fighting for their survival, Trinity is fighting a battle of her very own – the right to choose her own destiny.

Is Gerik’s hold on her too strong? Or can new love set her free?


Book 1 of the Holy Trinity series
Publisher: Madeline Sheehan
Date Published: March 15, 2012
Pages: 226
Genres: Adult, dystopian, fantasy, paranormal romance 

*Content Advisory: This book is intended for mature audiences.

This was a free read from amazon, so I decided to give it a try. I wasn’t planning on reviewing this. It was supposed to be just a relaxing read before bed without any in depth analyzing on my part. I became absorbed into this book quite fast and I stayed up to finish it too. I think that is definitely signs of a good book.

After the apocalypse Trinity finds herself in a warded Gypsy camp. She was saved by a massive Viking named Gerik. He takes her back to camp thus protecting her from the flesh eaters and the chaos of the world. There’s an odd connection between Gerik and Trinity. She finds herself questioning whether the Scandinavian Gypsy was using magic on her or if her lust was genuine. There are secrets among the camp and as an outsider she’s restricted in her knowledge.

The major focus was the love story, not much action in the book. There was a love triangle, but honestly it didn’t go as I predicted. I thought I had everything figured out when I started this book maybe that’s why I was so shocked to find out I was incorrect. There are quite the plot twists that had my eyes wide open.

Madeline Sheehan spun an intriguing story, even when Trinity and Gerik’s characters weren’t anything to write home about. Trinity was a little annoying especially when she frequently spouts random facts about Greek mythology. I also found her naïve, and her indecisiveness was irritating. I didn’t know Gerick and couldn’t invest in him since the author didn’t sell him. He just came at random times and got Trinity overheated if you know what I mean. There were other characters that were complex in their own way and added to the depth of the story.

I did find there wasn’t a good explanation on what happened for the apocalypse to occur. Also the connection between Gerick and Trinity wasn’t gone into enough detail and how their past lives fell into place in the present. Even with all that, the plot didn’t let me go and I couldn’t bring myself to stop reading, and the unpredictable twists made it that much more enjoyable.

Rating: